HOLO 2 Magazine
Holo Magazine HOLO 2 Magazine
Wobbly drawing machines with personality, a roomful of light bulbs that pulse the syncopated rhythm of a hundred heartbeats, bouncing an encoding of Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata off the moon—HOLO returns to further explore the frontiers of twenty-first century creativity.
Emerging trajectories in art, science, and technology.
- Encounters: Timo Arnall (NO), Ryoichi Kurokawa (JP), Jürg Lehni (CH), Rafael Lozano-Hemmer (MX/CA), Vera Molnar (HU), Katie Paterson (UK), Tale of Tales (BE/US)
Inquiry: ‘IF/THEN’ – An investigation of chance, predictability, and (true) randomness
From the thrill of checking your lottery numbers, to the volatility of financial markets, to the fool’s errand of weather prediction—life is more governed by chance than we’d like to admit. We share strange tales of randomness culled from early computer science, 20th-century think tank experiments, physicists’ fever dreams, and inventive artistic endeavours.
- Contributors: Dorothy Feaver, Michelle Kasprzak, Geoff Manaugh, Simon Parkin, Paul Prudence, Casey Reas, Jim Rossignol, Daniel Rourke, Vera Sacchetti, Daniel Shiffman, Scott Smith, Georgina Voss, Daniel West, Mitchell Whitelaw, Will Wiles
- Guest Designer: Karsten Schmidt
- Guest Artists: Jacopo Atzori, Ted Davis, Cedric Flazinski, Coralie Gourguechon, Eva Hillreiner, Peter Stemmler, Fanqiao Wang, Ludwig Zeller
- Photographers: Anne Gabriel-Jürgens, Nina Lüth, Robin Maddock, Ye Rin Mok, Victor Nomoto, James Pearson-Howes, Rick Pushinsky, Vincent Tsang
- 236 pages, 22 x 29 cm, saddle stitch bound + ‘Cryptoclock’ paper random number generator